biking to work stats
6 miles each way
38.28 lbs carbon per day reduced from the air by not driving
585 calories per day
1.97 gallons of gas each day saved ($180 a month saved!)
$15 a month insurance discount for limited vehicle usage.
So all in all I'm easily saving over $200 a month, helping to clean the air and getting a great workout. No looking back now.
Here are some tips I've gathered over the month.
1. Bring extra clothes - you'll be sweaty most likely so I'll have shorts and a shirt to bike in on. My work shirt in my backpack and a shirt to bike home in.
2. extra pair boxers
3. Ride in with shorts, change into pants
5. Tube/tire lever/co2 air pump
6. Gel seat
7. Keep a stick of deodorant at the office
8. Replicated work environment at home so I don’t have to lug my laptop :)
9. Clipless pedals knocked 7 minutes off my commute(makes uphill so much easier)
10. Blinking reflector to wear on ride home if it’s dark
11. Can of mace in case someone tries to take your bike :)
I'm going to start coming by on the weekend, dropping off a weeks worth of lunch, clothing and towels and biking in lighter during the week.